QEC originated as a baby health centre opening in North Richmond in 1917. Over the years, it became pre-eminent in the provision of maternal child health care, and the training of nurses, throughout Victoria.
In 1934, it became a registered public hospital, which then evolved to become the Queen Elizabeth Centre in 1986. Over time nurse training moved out of hospitals to the higher education sector and the QEC’s focus began to shift towards children within high-risk profiles.
The QEC moved to its current purpose built facilities in Noble Park in 1998.